FinnyBoo, charming and adventurous as always, had a wonderful 1st day at Columbus Montessori Education Center (CMEC). He was repulsed by the homemade pumpkin muffins that I stayed up until 11:30 making him. Rain also refused my baked goods and I refuse to use icing at breakfast, no matter how much I want to incorporate the health benefits of pumpkin into their diets.

Dave and I took Finn in at 12:30 and he sat in circle time like he'd been going there for two years with his beloved brother and now it was his chance. I was fine until we peeked into the observation room to check in on him. All I could remember is nursing Finn in that little cave while I watched Rain acclimate to CMEC, say what, 100 years ago (or maybe it was yesterday).

When I picked Finn up almost four hours later in the school gym, I got glowing reports from his teachers. Violetta said he tackled the day like an alum and hardly appeared to be a first day student. He has been an honorary member of classroom two the past two years. Margaret just told me he was too cute and had had a great day. As I approached him myself, I found him happily playing. It took me a few seconds to realize he was drenched in pee. The day's excitement and fun had hardly left time for banalities like using the restroom. We went back to classroom two to change; after I washed my hands I realized he was halfway down the hall to the gym, scurrying like the little chick he is so afraid to miss even a minute of fun.
When I asked about his day, he was mostly reticent (SHOCKING!). His snack was a secret and all he moaned on about was some coveted work with a green ball and a hammer, from Rain's days in classroom two, that was not out today (as he had, apparently quite earnestly, anticipated). By bedtime he was full of stories. He did a scooping work and wanted to do a pouring, but did not. He played with one friend, but got bored. Audra and Max did not want to play with him and Courtney was not there. He had crackers for snack and also did another work with beetles. Rain played a game where you are a monarch and there are predators all around you. Will you survive?!? It sounded fantastic. He told Finn he thought he would like the weather calendar and the Friday folder he has, but that, as Finn currently does not read, the journal might be too hard for him. He is making a monarch butterfly in art that looks almost like a real monarch and it almost exactly the same on both sides. The art teacher has three caterpillars and one has turned into o chrysalis. For snack today he ate a cookie and it was someone's birthday, so they had cupcakes. I wonder why he has two pimples?!?!?! The brothers swapped stories about their respective schools and held hands, theirs and mine, before finally falling asleep a bit after nine. The day was a smashing success and I am officially the mother of TWO SCHOOL-AGED children!
No comments:
Post a Comment